A recent article by the Observer exploring the best CBD for tackling sleep issues, is a testament to how far and wide the potent properties of CBD for sleep disorders is reaching.
We are witnessing how a main stream audience is responding, with the rise in demand for quality CBD oil products and information searches online.
Top Google searches want to know all about CBD for sleep disorders, when to take CBD oil for sleep, which are the best CBD products for sleep, and how many drops of CBD oil to take for sleep.
Sleep disruption and disorder affects 1 in 3 people, as findings from Aviva’s Wellbeing Report revealed recently.
They advise that:
- In the UK alone, six million adults are suffering from sleepless nights, and a third of which (31%) say they experience symptoms of insomnia.
- As many as fifty to sixty million people in the United States suffer from sleep related disorders.
- Two thirds (67%) of UK adults suffer from disturbed sleep and almost a quarter (23%) of which manage no more than around five hours sleep a night.
- Almost half (48%) of UK adults admit they do not get a sufficient or satisfying amount of sleep.
- More than one in ten Britains are taking sleeping tablets (13%) or drink alcohol (13%) in a failing attempt to aid quality sleep.
As the worldwide trend for holistic health and natural remedies rises, people are starting to take their health into their own hands. We currently are seeing millions of health conscious consumers curiously searching out the best CBD products for sleep disorders.
Read on as we unpack a variety of CBD products and many benefits for a healthy sleep, and as a result, also a healthy, happy and balanced life.
Sleep and media experts at the Sleep Foundation published a well-rounded and referenced report in May 2021 about the many benefits of CBD for sleep disorders. They advise that not only does CBD oil support healthy sleep patterns, but details how CBD has benefits for a range of other health conditions, including stress, anxiety and depression.
It is no coincidence that people suffering from stress, depression or anxiety related disorders also often have issues with their sleep. It is all connected by our nervous system and the messengers and receptors that dwell within.
A good night’s sleep allows the body to recover, so you wake up refreshed and ready to go for a productive feel good kind of day.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is one of over a hundred naturally occurring cannabinoid compounds found in the hemp or cannabis plant.
The benefits of this plant have been popular throughout history, however we are now seeing a boom in the natural health, wellness and beauty industries. As people awaken to self-care and holistic health, consumers are exploring and revealing the results of plant, flower and nature’s remedies.
CBD oil is the pure extracted specific compound from the hemp plant, which involves a highly specialised skilled botanical and chemical laboratory process. The extraction process was first discovered in 1940 by US organic chemist Dr Roger Adams, a pioneer in the composition of natural substances, and plant extract field of science.
These early studies paved the way for ongoing clinical research to evidence the now known benefits of CBD and CBD oil extracts.
CBD is a pure CBD cannabidiol compound extract which is free of all other cannabinoid compounds. Known as pure CBD isolate, this is legal to buy online in the UK. Full or broad spectrum CBD oil which does contain THC compound (tetrahydrocannabinol – the cannabinoid compound responsible for the psychoactive effect of cannabis or marijuana), is not legal to buy online in the UK.
CBD isolate products extract pure CBD only, resulting in a white powder of CBD in its purest form, which is then carefully added to carrier oils to produce CBD oil.
How will CBD oil help me sleep?
CBD works with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) within our own body – this system is a direct link to the nervous systems responsible for hormone production. Certain hormones have a massive impact on our stress levels, sleep cycle and quality of sleep.
CBD oil for sleep works with your nervous system regulate and balance essential hormone levels. These include the stress hormones (such as cortisol), and the happy hormones (such as serotonin).
These hormones are internal messengers which will bind to the internal receptors deep in the cells of the body. Because the ECS is directly connected to the nervous system, multiple conditions stem from the messages this source is giving out to your body.
When a hormone and receptor join together in the body, the receptor carries out the hormone’s instructions. This will either result in altering the cell’s existing proteins, or it will activate specific signals to build a new protein.
When things are out of balance in any way, your system’s internal receptors will alert your body, and you experience an affected sleep pattern.
By encouraging a decrease in the cortisol hormone with a few drops of CBD oil as part of a relaxing night time regime can help you to relax in the evening. It can also help you to fall asleep quicker, and experience a deeper and longer sleep through the night.
Taken consistently and regularly throughout the day, one of the many benefits of CBD oil is that it can have a calming effect on your nervous system. CBD oil reacts with the system by balancing the essential hormones needed to create the ultimate functioning state of homeostasis.
Homeostasis is the state of equilibrium within the nervous system of the body. It is also the desired state needed to fully function, focus and achieve optimum levels of health and vitality.
The benefits of CBD are not only seen for sleep, but also manage and balance metabolism, gut health and energy levels during the day, all of which have a direct impact on the quality of your sleep.
Are there any side effects?
Research continues in the health and scientific studies, such as a 2019 report from the World Health Organization (WHO) which indicates that guaranteed pure quality CBD products do not actually carry any prominent side effects.
CBD oil products also do not seem to have the potential for misuse or dependence — unlike other over the counter and prescription pain-relieving substances.
Conventional treatments for depression, anxiety and related sleep issues are often treated with over the counter medicines, which western society snap up the convenience and instant gratification of.
These treatments are often known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), or anti-depressants (most commonly drugs such as Prozac). These medications are mass produced and easily available but they can also have high risk side effects. In fact long term use of these quick fix treatments can become highly addictive.
As wellbeing professionals all over the world now integrate holistic and alternative natural therapies into conventional medicine, research continues to reflect that the benefits of CBD oil is helping millions of people living with sleep related issues all over the globe every day.
How do I take CBD for sleep?
A few drops of CBD oil under the tongue is the most effective way to intake CBD oil for sleep. The application method is known as ‘sub lingual’ and allows the compounds in the CBD oil to release directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system.
Taking CBD for sleep this way will take effect faster, as it doesn’t need to tackle the digestive system – the receptors in the nervous system will receive the message immediately.
Consistency and commitment to your health and wellbeing is the real approach here.
When you are taking the best care of yourself your body thanks you, with a good balanced functioning system, and good quality rest.
It is advised that CBD for sleep is absorbed in several different ways, during the course of the day. This gives the body sufficient opportunity to begin to balance the systems in preparation for rest – so you are not buzzing in a high stress or anxious state, and heading to burn out.
Rest, relaxation and rejuvenation are vital to your everyday wellness and a healthy lifestyle.
Make night times a ritual for rest
It is very wise to have a night time routine. A ritual which is personal to you which could include:
- Switching off your devices and not looking at the ‘blue light’ of a screen for at least an hour before you hit the pillow.
- A soothing night time tea – there are many sleepy herbal blends to replace caffeine which also support the nervous system to relax. These include camomile, lemon balm, valerian, lavendar and vervain (among others).
- A hot salt bath, even add a CBD bath bomb product for extra luxury indulgence.
- Follow up your bath with a CBD moisturiser or muscle rub product. Applied topically CBD can hit the spot immediately when it comes to aches and pains. It is also known to help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Journaling – write down everything in your mind. It doesn’t matter what it is, when it is out of your mind and onto paper, you are clearing out the old energy.
- Cut down on alcohol, sugar and caffeine in general – these three are not good at all to the nervous system and it works overdrive to rid the body of the toxins.
- Eat your last meal before 8pm. The body needs to be in rest and recovery, not in digestion. The digestive system needs a good rest in order for the whole physical body to rest also.
- Meditation may seem daunting if you’re not already practicing, and easy to self sabotage even when you are experienced. However, it is known that meditation calms the mind and brings the brain into a state of equilibrium. This also reduces the stress factors which trigger the sleep disorder in the first place.
- Sound healing and restful frequencies have become increasingly popular in health and wellness regimes, as they can help to support the brain in reaching an alpha, relaxed brain pattern at night.
Which is the best CBD product for me?
It is advisable to have a few options, to make sure you are absorbing the best maximum benefits of CBD for sleep.
There are many CBD products in an ever expanding market and competition to buy CBD products online, and handy little CBD products that you can carry with you, are increasingly popular for a busy society on the go. These include:
- A CBD aromatherapy roll on may be used on the pulse points and forehead to ease tension or headaches.
- A CBD lip balm applied to the lips (which are extremely absorbent) throughout the day.
- A muscle rub CBD product each day will allow you to absorb the benefits of CBD into the system straight away, particularly if you have any aches and pains.
- A few CBD oil drops directly under the tongue is one of the best ways to absorb CBD for sleep.
- CBD edibles are a popular way of digesting CBD, however be mindful of purchasing CBD products which are legal to buy online in the UK from a reputable source.
- A few CBD oil drops in your water, tea or coffee during the day will help the system maintain balance (no late night caffeine remember).
When and how many drops of CBD oil should I take for sleep?
There is still much to be explored on the topic of the best dosage of CBD oil for sleep disorders. However, we have seen clinical evidence, and heard thousands of reviews and positive stories on the subject. The demand is also on the increase as we see more CBD businesses, shops and events appearing online and in our high streets.
Because CBD oil adapts to your unique individual system, the dosage of CBD for sleep really does vary according to the person. Contributing factors of how many drops of CBD oil to take for sleep include weight, age, physical health and any existing or chronic health issues.
It is advisable to begin with just a few drops, assess the effect, and increase from there if you feel the need to. Effects are subtle – you won’t feel anything ‘kick in’ or experience and ‘high’, but you will notice the calming effects to the systems quickly.
Commit to a regular daily routine of incorporating CBD products into your day and into your system, to receive maximum benefits.
If, of course you do have any pre-existing or chronic health conditions, it is recommended to consult a physician or medical professional for support if you feel the need.